You can shape the simulator.
X-Plane may have the most realistic flight model on the market, but what is that worth if you can’t fly the planes that you want to fly?
X-Plane can be extended in nearly any way you can imagine. You can add aircraft (such as those downloadable from X-Plane.org) or custom scenery (again, check out X-Plane.org or visit the new Airport Scenery Gateway), or you can download plug-ins (XSquawkBox, used to connect to the virtual air traffic control network, is a popular one) that can radically alter the functionality of the simulator. For instructions on installing these, see Chapter 4 of the X-Plane 10 manual.
If you don’t find the aircraft, scenery, or plug-ins you’re looking for, you can create your own. A good place to start is the Development Tools page. There, you’ll find information and links to the plug-in and scenery development kits. Of course, the Plane Maker software (found in your X-Plane 10 installation directory) can be used to create aircraft–for more information, see the Plane Maker manual.
Using the USB keys available from the X-Plane.com Store, the simulator can also be upgraded for commercial use, as well as for FAA certification.
Other Destinations for Expanding X-Plane
- X-Plane Scenery Development, the main page for creating scenery
- The X-Plane.org Downloads page, one of the biggest hosts for free third-party aircraft, scenery, and plug-ins
- The Airport Scenery Gateway, the newest site for free airports for use with X-Plane 10.25 and higher
- The Plane Maker manual
- WorldEditor, a free program that lets you customize scenery
- The X-Plane Plug-In HQ, which hosts the plug-in SDK (software development kit)
- The EFIS App page, here at X-Plane.com
- The EFIS App for iPad page, here at X-Plane.com
- The X-World page, here at X-Plane.com, featuring links to many more destinations
- www.xpscenery.net, a site aiming to list all the scenery that is available for X-Plane
- iFlightPlanner, a flight planning app that can interface with X-Plane
- Saitek, for an X-Plane compatible plug-in