There is a known issue with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update affecting the frame rate of various programs, including X-Plane. Most often this is seen when X-Plane is running and the focus has been switched to another program, such as when alt + tab is used. If you experience this problem, follow the steps below to fix it:
If you have the Xbox app installed (this is a stock app that comes with Windows—the only reason you would not have it is if you deleted it intentionally), do the following:
- Open Xbox app
- Sign in with your Microsoft account
- Click on the settings “gear” icon at the bottom of the left-hand sidebar.
- Click the Game DVR tab.
- Toggle “Take screenshots using Game DVR” to off.
If you intentionally deleted the Xbox app, you can edit the registry, but you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you’re sure this is what you want, you can:
- Open the Registry Editor by opening the Start menu, typing regedit, and hitting Enter.
- Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER in the left pane.
- Within HKEY_CURRENT_USER, expand System.
- Click on GameConfigStore within System.
- Double-click on “GameDVR_Enabled” in the right pane.
- Set the value to 0, then click OK.
- Restart your computer.