- Download the latest X-Plane installer below.
- Unzip the newly downloaded installer and run it.
- Insert the first X-Plane DVD into your DVD-ROM drive and wait for it to spin up.
- When the installer window appears, click Continue to begin the installation process.
- By default X-Plane will install to the Desktop. Though it can be installed elsewhere, it is strongly recommended that it be placed on the Desktop so that it can be found in the future. For the purposes of this guide, we will assume it is installed there. Click Continue.
- Accept the user agreement and click Continue once again. It is highly recommended that you leave the box for sending anonymous usage data checked. This allows Laminar Research to gather anonymous data to make updates to the simulator based on how you use it.
- Select the scenery you would like to install. Which parts of the world are selected by default depends on the installer you are using. An unselected tile will appear bleached in color, while a selected tile will have its full color.If you are unsure what areas are currently selected, just click Select None to turn everything off. From there, select the individual tiles you would like to install by clicking on them. Additionally, you can click and drag to select large areas quickly. Note that for regions where no scenery is installed, only oceans and airports will be visible.
- When you’re finished selecting scenery, click Continue to begin installing.
- The installer will begin displaying its progress. When using DVDs, the installer will prompt you when it’s time to remove the current disc and insert the next. Note that installation may take anywhere from thirty to sixty minutes per disc, and that only one X-Plane disc can be in the system at once (the installer wont recognize a disc placed in a second DVD-ROM).
We strongly recommend that you install only a small bit of scenery now and add more later, as the entire scenery package takes nearly 60 GB of space and a long time to install.
Scenery can be added or removed at any point in the future by re-running the installer. Insert Disc 1 from the DVD set. When the X-System installer comes up saying “You already have X-Plane 10 installed on this computer,” click the Add or Remove Scenery button and proceed just like in step 7 above.