The X-Plane beta updates are for users who want to help test the newest refinements to the X-Plane software. The advantage to doing so is that these users get access to the latest enhancements to the software (flight model refinements, new features, etc.). The downside is that there is a greater risk of encountering problems with third-party models or other general bugs.
We recommend that most users stick to the stable version releases, as these are the ones known to “just work.” Beta builds represent the cutting edge of our work on X-Plane and may be buggy or unstable. Use with caution. 🙂
How to Get a Public Beta from the X-Plane Installer
When a public beta is available, run the X-Plane installer/updater and pick “update”; then check the “Check for new Betas” check box.
If you already have the beta, X-Plane will prompt you when new betas become available. If you have a released non-beta build, you will not be notified until the new patch is finalized and out of testing.
If you decide you do not want to use the beta anymore, simply:
- Run the installer/updater.
- Pick “update”
- Uncheck “get betas”
- When prompted to keep or overwrite modified files, pick “overwrite”. (WARNING: if you have your own modifications, do not pick overwrite for your own mods. This is only an issue if you have add-ons that modify X-Plane system files.)
Please note that Steam users only have access to the final betas, called release candidates.
How to Get a Public Beta on Steam
Steam users can get in on the Public Beta fun, too!
- Find X-Plane 12 in your Steam Library
- Right click on X-Plane 12 and select ‘Properties’
- Choose ‘Betas’ on the right side of the Properties pop-up
- Select ‘public_beta’ from the dropdown.
- You do NOT need an access code for public beta. Yes, Steam’s UI is confusing for this.
Where To Report Bugs
Please use our bug report form to report bugs. We do not read the various X-Plane community forums; if you write up a bug on a forum and do not file a bug, we will not know about it and it will not be fixed. Please use the bug report form!
Please review these guidelines for how to file a helpful bug report. Then use the bug report form to report bugs.
See the Release Notes page for more information on what changed with each beta release.